" Located just off the coast of northeast Florida, Amelia Island is easy to reach, but hard to forget. With 13 miles of beautiful beaches, abundant native wildlife, and pristine waters, this barrier island has long been a beloved destination for visitors and residents alike.
No matter the season, Amelia Island offers the perfect climate. Enjoy warm spring temperatures, excellent summers swimming, crisp fall evenings and temperate winer days - all comfortable for any type of island play.
By car, air or boat, Amelia Island is surprisingly easy to get to you. Although located only 30 minutes from Jacksonville International Airport, you'll feel miles away from it all on this charming, tranquil island.
TOP 9 REASONS TO VISIT AMELIA
1) BEACHES - A southern jewel in the Sea Island chain of barrier islands. Amelia Island has 13 miles of pristine uncrowded Atlantic beaches framed by natural beauty. Stroll, swim or just take it in.
2) DINING - More than 90 distinctive restaurants featuring fresh local seafood and produce., authentic international specialties, bistros, fine dining to casual outdoor spots are waiting for you.
3) FESTIVALS - Events all year, from the Shrimp Festival to the Concours d'Elegance, to festivals celebrating Jazz and Books, Petanque America Open and holiday celebrations.
4) GOLF - 117 holes of stunning, world-class golf await. From oceanfront holes and oak-lines fairways. The links of Amelia Island offer irresistible play for golfers of every skill level.
5) ON THE WATER - Cruise into the sunset (as a passenger or a captain), cast a line, kayak through the marshes or hop on a surfboard or paddleboard and explore the ocean.
6) HISTORIC DISTRICT - Florida's first luxury tourist destination has hosted a host of colorful characters from fabled pirates to Gilded Age millionaires. Discover Fernandina Beach's 50-block downtown historic district.
7) NATURE - Experience the lush landscape of the maritime forest, marshlands and beaches. Ride a bike trail or hike through one of the preserved areas that surround the island.
8) STAYING HERE - From top-end resorts to unique historic hideaways, the comforts of your favorite hotel, a cozy beachfront condominium or villa or a campsite under the stars, there is something perfect for your family and your style.
9) SHOPPING - What you find here, you won't find everywhere: Amelia Island is covered with shops offering whimsical, artisan, local, one-of-a kind treasures. Make new discoveries (and enjoy the hunt.) "
" If you're looking for a tranquil getaway, take a good look at Amelia Island, along Florida's northeast coast. Just 30 miles from Jacksonville, Amelia Island is a world apart. Golden-hued sands and guided horseback rides along the shore. Dolphin and osprey and maybe even a glimpse of the endangered right whale. All of this, plus luxury hotels and a wonderful selection of bed and breakfasts make Amelia Island the perfect spot for gentle recreation, historical exploration (it was controlled by France, Spain and England) or just enjoying a good book. In fact, the Condé Nast Readers' Choice Awards panel agrees: Amelia Island consistently ranks among its "Top 10 U.S. Islands." -visitflorida.com
" Amelia Island is the Florida beach with a Southern accent. A timeless destination known for pristine nature and uncrowded beaches, it offers world-class golf, spas and restaurants, plus a rich history. There's something for everyone—a family vacation, a romantic getaway, a beachside horseback ride or kayak excursion. Events include the Amelia Concours d'Elegance, Pétanque America Open and Isle of 8 Flags Shrimp Festival. It is 30 minutes from JAX International Airport and 90 from St. Augustine." -tripadvisor.com